Saturday, January 20, 2024

How "We" Make It Work

Writing for the Red Prairie Dust Magazine is holding me accountable. A peek at this quarter's article which allowed me to share thoughts on How I Make It Work... div class="separator" style="clear: both;">
A large white marble cross overlooks our family cemetery, Isaiah 40:32 is engraved upon it. “They that wait upon the Lord shall mount up with wings as eagles, they shall run and not grow weary, walk and not faint...” I suppose I try to follow that scripture. I know I don’t make anything work alone. I don’t know much but He has allowed me to experience a lot. We’re a team. As a fifth-generation ranch women born into a closeknit Christian family, I grew up underfoot a host of extended family that included both sets of grandparents, aunts, uncles, and lots of ranch hands that influenced me in all kinds of ways every single day. I married my easy going, ornery, romantic at heart high school sweet heart and became the mother of four wonderful inquisitive stairsteps and eventually a grandmother to 10 beautiful grandkids. I have had the opportunity to care for my aging grandparents and parents. My blessed journey has not been without its turbulence. I have made tons of blunders along the way, for the most part I’ve learned from those mistakes and garnered some wisdom. I’ll attempt to share some insight on dealing with the things that have mattered most to me: family, our ranch, church, community and our country and the freedoms we’ve enjoyed. Here are 10 thoughts in no particular order:
1. READ THE OWNER'S MANUAL Each morning I try to wake up early so I can spend time with the Lord asking Him to “order my steps” His instruction manual covers everything from husbands, wives, kids, health, business, government dealings etc. etc. etc. Traversing this life without God’s word is like crossing a bridge with no sides…at night…with no lights. Read the manual so you can safely cross over. 2. MI CASA ES SOUS CASA I love people and sharing meaningful relationships with others. In a world where we’ve lost touch with each other and often times reality I think forming strong friendships is important. I love my home and have tried to create a warm welcoming atmosphere for family and friends. Although we live several miles from town, our kid’s friends usually found their way to our house. Food cooking, music playing, crafts creating, lots of animals, hugs and room to roam, I guess it was a safe simple place to land. Our door continued to stay open as our grandkids grew. It’s remains open. 3. USE IT UP WEAR IT OUT MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT I am an organized hoarder by compulsion, and an improvisor by necessity. We live 10 miles from town, 45 from a Walmart. I stock up heartily, I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Hungry kids and ranch hands, and an extended family that might drop in on a moment’s notice kept me on my hunter-gathering toes. Little goes to waste, I look at everything as having value, an apple, a slice of bread, a bowl of leftover beans. I have always prepared meals from a “what can I turn what’s in my frig into supper, dinner or breakfast” view. For decades my garden has provided a bounty of fresh nutritious fruits and vegetables that I freeze, can or dry. Need something? I probably have it and can usually find it for you. 4. CAST YOUR BREAD UPON THE WATER; GET R DONE /b> On starting and completing any idea, task or deadline take one bite at a time. You can’t eat an elephant whole. Start with the smallest task, finish it then work your way through the rest. Don’t wait for “better days”. As farmers and ranchers, we know there’s truth in Ecclesiastes 11: 4 “he that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap. We understand there’s no easy way around bad days. Crops get “dusted in” during droughts, cattle get fed and ice broken during negative temps, cattle get gathered off busy highways at 3 a.m. We just get to it. 5. PEACEKEEPER OR PATRIOT DEFENDER? Whether it’s family, church, school or whatever squabbles, disagreements and even knockdown drag outs happen. Remember as Christians we are on the same team; God wants us to win. Are egos and emotions involved or has the devil slipped in presenting WOKE culture into your church, school or city council? Ask for discernment and courage. If it’s the former the Lord loves a peacekeeper, be one. Kind words of encouragement heal. Remember you can’t change others, but we can pray. My dad who served on many state and local civic and ag boards once said, “you can’t turn a cowdog into a bird dog” That’s always stuck with me when dealing with people. Enjoy who they are and try your best to work with them.If it’s the later be brave and stand up for your God given rights and freedoms it’s your duty. 6.EAGLES SOAR PIGS WALLOW, BE AN EAGLE Replace envy and jealousy with an attitude of joy for another person’s success. Listen and look you might just learn something from their successes. If you’ve been offended let it roll off like water on a duck’s back. If you find yourself wrapped in controversary, stand, state your case, shine a light, if need be on the misinformation, then move on. Leave no room for grudges or gossip, remember to believe some of what you see, none of what you hear. Years ago I held a firm grudge against a teacher that had sent a letter identifying everything wrong with my first grader. I read and reread it and fumed for years, finally I threw it away. We later became good friends. Let go and let God fill the potholes. 7. TORTOISE OR HARE JUST FINISH THE RACE The Proverbs 31 woman is a hard act to follow. I knew that I’d have to take care of myself if I was to keep up with this virtuous woman living a 21st century ranch life. So I started running. I’m a tortoise. 25 years ago I chose a pair of good running shoes over HRT and I never looked back. Participating in 5K’s, 10 K’s, ½ Marathons, triathlons and even a try at the 400-meter swim at this year’s Oklahoma Senior Games has helped me stay in shape physically and mentally. I rarely win, but I finish. Observing those who finished life’s race victoriously has taught me to pace for patience, persistence, and consistency. Fast can sometimes be last. 8.THINGS TURN OUT BEST FOR THOSE WHO MAKE THE BEST OF THE WAY THINGS TURN OUT We can control our attitudes but that’s about it. We think we are in control; we’re not. Farmers and ranchers know this well. We are swept along in different directions never knowing exactly where a day will carry us. It’s good to have a stash of motivation. Here are some of my favorites: a... Think your problem is unique? Nope. “There’s nothing new under the sun” Eccl 9:1-10 b... Tempted? “God will give you an out; a way to escape temptation” 1 Corinthians 10:13 c... "My yoke is easy and my burden is light” When others ramble on with “foolish controversies and endless genealogies” remember this: the children have it, we are to come as a little child, so don’t add confusion to God’s word or stifle His grace. d...“Always We Begin Again” I’m not a nun, and I don’t know a monk but I love this saying passed down to us from St. Benedictine. e... Be content “There is no better than Here” f... Learn to laugh; at yourself and with others because a cheerful heart is good medicine Proverbs 17:22 f... Confused about a decision? Pray for guidance then do the next right thing. g... “We will use what we have, complete our task and do it now” I read a similar quote decades ago in a biography on George Washington Carver, I’ve yet to find it. This concept stuck but the exact words escaped me. 9. REMEMBER WHEN? History is important. Understanding the past helps us travel the present shedding a light on solutions and ideas encountered by our ancestors making our trip a little easier. As long as I can remember, at the end of the day, my dad journaled. I have those journals, over 70 years’ worth. I inherited that passion. For decades I’ve scribbled on calendars, bits of paper anything handy to jot down a funny saying, idea or crazy happening. Those thoughts eventually made their way into a journal. Story listening was engrained in me. I had both sets of grandparents and my folks’ recounting times of war, the depression, plow mules, outhouses and no electricity. Today I have my own; threatening nuclear attack reminders, tuck and duck under your desk. My heart still jumps when I hear the “this is a test, it’s only a test” followed by the long threatening siren like beep. I remember party lines, taking off through the pasture bareback no permission no supervision, the smell of popcorn and the taste of Charm suckers offered at the local movie theaters, and a time before seatbelts. As censoring and information control becomes very real your story matters today more than ever. Document it. Share it.
<b>10 NEVER GIVE UP Finally, never ever give up. History is filled with heroes and heroines that “made it work” with the Lord’s help: Churchill, Washington, Esther, Ruth, Rahab, the persistent widow, the list goes on. Pick one, study and learn from them then emulate their success. So that’s it. Hope the road will become a little less bumpy. I’m right beside you because I’m still trying to heed my own advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

An Adventure?

I love to share...my stuff, my money, experiences, my faith and love of God and much much more. I don't mind opening up my home, my lif...